Monday, February 16, 2009

Share of stomach / tank

A couple of days ago driving along highway 80 I noticed something, I guess, quite familiar all over the US. Chevron's and McDonald's logos shared a sign at a rest area. I couldn't take a picture of the actual site but it was something quite like this.

.................

What grabbed my attention was that both brands were sharing the same status up above in that sign. Equivalence of stomachs and gas tanks!. For me, gas is a completely undifferentiated product which unique function is to "feed" the car. In a sense, it looked like McDonald's hamburgers were performing for human-beings the same function that gas provides for a car.

The golden arches' brand doesn't come out nicely from the matching. Both brands belong to very different experiences. As a consumer I felt a subconscious disconnect. Well, some may say that at the end of the day it is all about chemistry - organic and inorganic-, isn't it?

No comments: