Monday, May 4, 2009

Marketing strategy "Zildjian's Own Way"

This afternoon I bought tickets for Fleetwood Mac's concert at the Oracle Arena in Oakland. Then I surfed youtube and while watching "Go Your Own Way" I realized of something...look at the upper left corner of the following image:

Zildjian. I do not know how much you like music, whether you go to live concerts or you prefer to wacth videos on TV or the Internet but I am sure that logo sounds familiar. In fact it has always been there, as far back as I remember watching a drummer beating on the drums, Zildjian was there.

If you check out the video you will realize that the logo in the cymbals is strategically placed so it is always inside the frame of the camera that follows exclusively Mick Fleetwood, the drummer. Nice case of product placement, isn't it?

On the other hand, many cymbal manufacturers probably never thought of visually branding a product that (a) is valued for its acoustic properties, not for how it looks; and (b) only specialized demand care about. My bet is that in its early times Zildjian also signed up star drummers to win their prescribing influence over potential buyers. It smells like a great marketing strategy in a niche market.

No comments: